Celebrating 14 Years of Adventure and Scheming!
Firan was developed in 1997 and has been continuously active since then.
We're adding content here all the time! From time to time, we'll add links to pages that we're working on so you know about something new or special. The newest items appear at the top of the listing.
Since 2011, the Wizards have published a game-wide monthly newsletter, submitted with articles by the playerbase at large. For more information about the newsletter and how to submit articles, check out Monthly Newsletter.
The Current Events link in the Navigation panel at the left of every page now links to the game event calendar.
Some changes to horses are coming soon. Horse riding will no longer cause damage, but higher levels of riding will be required to participate in events like chariot racing or horse races.
The FiranMUX staff is holding a code competition. Do you know softcode and want to participate? Take a look at the rules. Successful entries have a chance at adding a tavern or festival game to FiranMUX!
Curious about Clan Leaders past and present? You can find out all you would like to know here about Medallions.
The Temple of Firanos stands for peace and diplomacy for the Firans. His favorite color is green and he appreciates gifts to those less fortunate. His priests often stand for diplomatic relations, spreading the word, peaceful action, or defending the weak.
This month there's news on the Crafter's Guild. This group was formed with the goal to support crafters, maintain quality, and give crafters a forum to solve disputes.
When players earn a six in a skill, this is called a legendary skill. Take a look at this page to see how legendary skills are gained and who has earned a legendary.
This year, the Spring Festival was hosted a little later than usual. There were the normal games, pentathlons, and praise for Lady Eesha, but they concluded with a surprise - not one, but two commoners chose marriage prizes this year, joining the ranks of the nobility even as they married for love!
Curious how to manipulate 256 color text? Take a look at Guide to 256 Colors!
This year war season will consist of missions run approximately one a month throughout the year with a big push occurring in October. The first war mission of this season kicked off on June 5th when brave soldiers entered Perindra to investigate a giant statue of Ylathim that seems to cry tears of blood. Players eagerly await to see what the outcome of this mission will bring to them.
Interested in how we Gamemaster? Take a look at Staff GM Guidelines.
In Firan culture, bodies are to be given a proper funeral in which the body is burned. When a body is not given this ritual, it is considered the victim of soul death.
Also of interest this month, there is lots of talk about the old party of the city, outside the walls. For more information, see The Old City.
Ever wonder what the Firan shops are and who owns them? Check out more information on Anarinuell Shop Owners.
Ever wonder what happens when the Firans believe someone has been cursed by the gods? Check out A Curse of Flies.
Recently, Lady Nilara was involved in a scandal in which she let the blood of her baby on the altar of Drik. This ended with an altercation in the Ticanee Elianik household in which Nilara disappeared leaving behind the corpse of their daughter Amori, who had her throat cut.
For his part, Rislan Elianik stepped before the mob and declared himself a new Republic leader while at the same time accusing the Ticanee Clan and Bear Clan of conspiring against the Republic. He fled to the woods and was captured by the Ticanee. A group of men and woman in green and black attempted to intervene, but Rislan would not leave his surrender, and he ended up poisoned. His body now resides in the Temple of Unot.
Every wonder how the Eagles went from a inheritance clan leader to democracy? Check out Eagle History.
About @911s is a chat between a wizard and players about using our 911 command. A good read to learn more about when 911 can and should be used!
Wondering what things a noble might do or how they spend their day? Take a look at this Discussion on Noble Days.
Gladiator games have received much attention lately as they have decided to do some more risky fights. Want to know more about gladiators? Take a look at our wiki page.
As we approach the end of RP Lite, the pace is starting to pick up again. The Olympics will be soon, and the Spring Festival not that much longer after that. To see Festivals past, check out the recently revamped Spring Festival 55 A.U. page!
In other news, there are Welcome Centers for each Clan that help a new player get integrated with their Clan, and fit into roleplay more smoothly. Take a look at the Ticanee Clan Welcome Center, also recently updated! There are Centers by clan, easily found by searching for Welcome Center in the main search functionality. Enjoy!
RP Lite will be starting on December 1, 2012 and lasting until January 9, 2012. Please read up more about it in our OOCPM Hour on RP Lite
Players have recorded many fascinating logs documenting Remembrance Day. Feel free to read over all the great RP!
Fall Festival 56 A.U. planning has begun with the naming of the Festival Coordinators. Prince Aethyrik Istabelik and Lady Elene Ista Aldrik will be coordinating the massive event. For more information check out the wiki page!
Remembrance Day is nearly upon us! It will begin Friday night around midnight on the 27th and continue until Sunday. Come rp with the dearly departed, and check out Remembrance Day.
War Season has ended! Check the links and information on War Season 2012 for the scoop on what the Firans accomplished, and what they were up against.
War Season has started! Deployment has begun and missions will begin the week of 10/01/2012. If you are interested in finding information about War Season, please take a look at War Season 2012. A list of intriguing submitted missions is also available.
Lots of roleplay has been around the noble military decision for nobles to enter the Republic military at Centurion rank. A simple decision has blossomed into possible civil war within the Hydra Clan. Speaking of clan leader changes, some great information about medallions is on the wiki!
The Eagle Clan Elections are over! Clan Leader Daranos leads the clan for another six years, and a new Delegate, Danica Senteri, has been elected! Check out the Eagle Clan Election Page for more information!
Coming Soon! The new Gossip System is going through it's initial introduction. Check out the wiki page for a sneak peek of what this exciting revamp will mean for you!
Social points have been deflated by a factor of 10. Along with this, staff has created some new Social Standards.
There is a new family that has moved to Anarinuell - the Senteri family of the Eagle clan is settling in and looking to make new acquaintances! Of a group of Eagles now referred to as Patricians, these well-to-do merchants are in a class by themselves. Check out the hubbub on the wiki, and find them in game to see what's going on in with this democratic bunch.
There is new theme being developed to allow the Old City to expand their territory. While the requirements are still in progress, details can be found here.
Have you ever wondered what you can use an attribute for? Check out more here at What are Attributes Good For.
Our new legendary skills process allows players to use their role-play history to earn skills at level 6, above the usual max of level 5. We recently added a process by which a character may earn a second legendary skill. While players are not required to save logs, be sure to save notes of your legendary scenes so they can be included in your legendary write up.
The Eagle Clan may be preparing to issue a new constitution. Details of the ongoing work can be found at Eagle Constitution Proposal.
FiranCon recently occurred. Check out the wiki to see what happens at FiranCon and consider attending next year!
Dogs seem to be all the rage this season! Lady Rasha Didoron has graciously held an auction for charity with her track hounds, and these fine puppies and others are seen most recently around the city! For more information on all the work that goes into breeding these animals, check out these two new wiki pages!
It has been announced that Cecilia will have her coronation as the Cockatrice Clan Leader. This event will take place on March 7th, 2012 at 8:30PM EST in the throne room of the Cockatrice Plaza. The people wonder if Prince Nydias, or Princess Anais will take over from her since both have pasts to move away from.
The Clan Council announced that they had reached an agreement to postpone the ratification of the Constitution by 2 RL weeks. The more shocking and unexpected news from the Clan Council was that they are re-instating the position of Acting Queen to help improve the morale of the Republic as a whole. Several names were put forward and will be considered. Finally, the Clan Council deferred any decisions about Nazeera until the Religious Council meets on it.
Nazeera Rissik returned to Anarinuell, much to the surprise of the Chimerans. She went directly to the Forum and made a speech accusing Inaya Elikista, former Clan Leader of the Chimera Clan, of soul murder of Delrosa.
Check out the new Clan Leadership code! This is an interesting way to get people involved in the governance of the various Clans, creating exciting opportunities for people to rise dramatically - or fall scandalously! Most recently, the Ticanee clan has had a problem with their health - and now there is a disease in far-off Vahloria that is starting to spread to the lands here in Anarinuell. What will they do?
We are now out of RP Lite and into the Firan Olympics of 54 A.U.!
We have a few new pages for players to review and utilize.
- Battle: Air Raid 53 A.U.
- Firan Survival Guide - this has been heavily edited and is quite huge!
- The Council's Decision - stay tuned for a summary paragraph and enjoy the emits about Banian and Rikon
Want More? Check out our What Was Hot - The Archive Edition
Firan is an online role-playing game (RPG) that blends various elements: primarily an RPG environment with a touch of a coded MUD feel, and hints of ideas from computer video games like Civilization and Colonization, SimCity, and Populous. However, the real aim of Firan is to provide a rich play environment that encourages role-playing and storytelling. The game helps players role-play in a number of ways. This site describes our game.
Check out the August 2013 newsletter here!
Palace District Weekend
Occasionally, we designate a weekend as a "Palace District Weekend." Over that weekend, we expect players to role-play in the Palace District as much as possible. This gives players an excuse to bump into people with whom they might not normally interact. For more information, please see On My Way to the Forum.
There is currently no Palace District Weekend scheduled.
Featured Article: Staff Priorities for This Week
This is the list of public priorities staff is attempting to complete before August 31, 2013. This list does not include additional duties like manning the help channel, tinyplots, player talks, and emergency code fixes.
- Job 12441 - Aerial Combat: We made some headway in defining what we wanted for Aerial combat. We want something that feels more like action and provides the proper heroic feel for the risk. This will need the next four months to distill and come up with a full design.
- Job 12453 - September Newsletter
- October Newsletter
- November Newsletter
- December Newsletter
- War Season 2013 - This next four months we will be running the complete three week war season. There are several jobs related to this.
- Job 12464 - War Room Code: Design job to create a mechanic which Firans and Hordes can use to fight over as well as gain and lose territory between mass GMing.
- Job 12465 - Mass GMing Tool: Helpful for more than just war season, this will be a tool that will let GMs set people up to roll initiative and control the flow of large scenes.
- Job 12476 - Damage Function: Turn damage into a function, make damage happen in the attack for which the hit is made to reduce the two semaphore count before damage runs.
Job 12477- Remove Tools: Remove the need for all but lockpicking tools from the game. If needed to make those professions interesting that made tools, we'll add new items over 2014.
- Job 12421 - Stage One: SQL Help: Design basic commands for adding help to SQL and reading help. The main benefit this gives us involves eventually showing players all help that they have the security to view, meaning a PHer would see all topics in x-refs and indexes that is relevant to players and PHers. Wizards would see everything. Players would only see player related help. In addition, it will be possible to search the full text of help instead of just the help file reference.
- Job 12459 - Horde Command Coding: This is the coding on the design job from the previous four months. The goal of this is to ease setup and creating of horde groups.
- Job 12309 - Firanos' Challenge: It's time for the peace man to give his challenge to the Firan people.
- Job 12466 - Decoration Code: Design job to allow for party hosts or hostesses to setup some basic decorations on the room.
- Job 12469 - Vintages for Wine: Design job to allow some small customization to spec wines.
- Job 10974 - plant <item> command: Design job to allow someone to plant an object on another character.
- Job 12467 - Horse Improvements: Coding for a previous design job on horses.
- Reduce the Lifespan slightly on horses to give breeders a reason to keep breeding and creating good stock
- Remove damage from riding horses, instead make it require riding/land of 1 to ride a horse
- Change the horse racing code to require a skill of 3 to race. Make races more tactical, like chariot racing.
- Remove the steer command, the mount commands should be sufficient
- Give those with animal/husbandry horses of 4 or greater the ability to train horses further
- Remove horses as a buyable item at the market, so they must be gained from a breeder
- Job 12114 - Jobs 2.0: Coding will commence for the Jobs system that will include improvements like one system for all jobs, requests, helpreqs, and @clan requests. In addition, we will gain features like being able to mail to a player from a request, as well as, being able to setup more than one requestor for a job, which is great for doing things like Resolution Day request finishes/info requests.
- Job 6212 - Appraise Generic Worn: Worn items that are generic (like RI armor) will now show on appraise a general idea of how old they are.
- Job 12406 - Religious Orders: This is the coding for the previous design that will allow gods and high priests to setup orders available to initiates and priests of that temple.
- Job 12443 - Clan Guards 2.0: Design job to improve Clan Guards.
- Limit guard amounts by population, even though CLs should have limitless guards, we only have so many dspace squares and PCs, so using clan guards should sometimes be a consideration.
- Adding or removing guards in places should just increase or decrease the count on that object, not create billions of separate objects.
- Instead of multiple commands for guarding people and places, they will instead use 'here' to designate the current location and use one set of commands.
- Guards places in an area can be configured to search for a person, people with a last name, or people from a certain clan. This will have between a 5-10% chance to work.
- Even if a guard does catch someone, they should have ways this person can get out of it, like bribing or seducing, etc.
- With reduction in available guard pools, the cost of hiring regular bodyguards should be reduced in case the clan needs to supplement.
- Commoners and Outcasts with extremely large amounts of guards may trigger game wide emits. After all, the Firans are terrified of personal armies.
- Job 7025 - Lease Ending Mails: When someone renews their lease, the system is not always cleanly removing them from the alerts that they have a lease ending.
- Job 12468 - Fishing Enhancements: This is the coding for the previous design work that will include uses for nets and fishing ships, as well as, new items that can be fished up.
- Job 12470 - Curse System: This is the coding for the previously designed curse system that will allow priests to occasionally decrease a stat on another by one at their own expense.
- Job 2066 - Fashion System 2.0: This is the really old exciting job to redo the fashion system to be more robust.
- Chargen 2013: Please be advised some characters are not listed here yet. We have about 7 more write ups left.
- Job 11540 - Nino Iberik
- Job 12317 - Herod Istanydiam
- Job 12318 - Arcturus Corinala
- Job 12319 - Diana Ista Aldrik
Job 12320- Relnos Didoron
- Job 12321 - Zafrius Eesani
Job 12323- Vasylan Garkensan
- Job 12328 - Arinshana Karanik
- Job 12337 - Kessa Cyrani
- Job 12340 - Atania Ista Barun
- Job 12342 - Emmelani Teranzik
Job 12350- Veonira Shadina
- Job 12353 - Elysari Zaridik
- Job 12357 - Domiak Mondarik
- Job 12360 - Kaeya Keniwik
- Job 12363 - Aerian Firabi
- Job 12366 - Zacori Junik
- Job 12372 - Optima Istabelik
- Job 12374 - Hermione N'Gadanik
- Job 12387 - Damras Senteri
- Job 12393 - Vahla Oshta
- Job 12395 - Aurelino Aurik
- Job 12407 - Quentius Montigo
- Job 12410 - Kara Jaffus
- Job 12414 - Tiodanus Lidanik
- Job 12418 - Zeshira Delphinus
- Job 12422 - Pinna Badgertooth
- Job 12428 - Deina Anirik
- Job 12439 - Kestra Wolfhawke
- Job 12458 - Lune Istariniad
- Job 12463 - Janina Mageeran
- Job 12479 - Ianir Rianvalu
- Job 12490 - Added a Twee channel so players could see what was put on the Firan twitter feed.
- Job 12493 - Updated the Firan map to reflect the Cockatrice boundaries to include Sarkaran
- Job 12492 - Changed the names on the Sarkaran rooms to Property of the Cockatrice Clan
- Job 12430 - Scouting War Mission
Priority List Last Four Months
Job 12260- Kamnestra's Monument: This is almost done and is the completion of the Kamnestran challenge.
Job 12267- Writ Granting Re-write: We made writs grant no matter whether the clan leader was online or not.
Job 12261- Server Restart Reminder: We're going to start restarting the FiranMUX server for maximum usage on the 1st and 15th of every month.
Job 12262- Roster Room Cleanup Reminders: We're also going to clean up people's rooms as they are added to the roster.
Job 12264- Pantry Storage: Design job to make it so pantries can store ingredients by accounts, expire at a percentage, and food outside a pantry will expire faster. (This was designed and coded as the container code)
Job 1982- Clan Views: Finish up the write ups of how the clans view each other.
- Festival Code Fixes: Several jobs dealing with problems in the festival code like awarding, retracting, events, etc."
Job 10120- Festival Signup Cancel
Job 11963- Fix spelling of scheduled in the final @festival/signup prompt
Job 11962- When the festival signup code prompts for the date, fixed the format of the date in the prompt
Job 11994- Make it so the host or co-host reflect properly if one or the other did not show up
Job 12376- Make it so @festival/calculate properly recognizes hosts and co-hosts per Job 11994
Job 4150- Contract Update: Job to create a wizard staffing contract. Just changing this into some overall expectations.
- Job 12116 - Farming your own land: Make it so if you own or manage land you can just farm it without all the hassle of renting.
Job 4967- Make a Quantity: Design job to see if we can allow things like make 5 yarrow tea (this was designed and coded)
Job 12252- Fishing Code Rewrite: Design job to enhance fishing with possible random items to fish up and making fishing boats useful.
Job 5142- Load and Unload: Some fixes to the load and unload code.
Job 12255- Religious Orders: Design job for code that allows gods and High Priests on behalf of the god to provide directions/desires accessible to all priests of an order to work on.
Job 12256- Item Upkeep Code: Design job for a system in which items wear out ex. White Stola becomes Ragged White Stola. Players can pay stenis to revitalize the item or recycle and make new.
Job 12259- Curse System: Design job for a system where priests could curse another character.
- Job 12241 - Aerial Combat: Design job for Aerial Combat 3.0 to make it more engaging/interesting.
Job 12257- Horde Command Revamp: Design job to cleanup and add useful commands and document the Horde commands.
Job 12253- Job 2.0 SQL Tables: Design SQL Tables for the Job System 2.0.
Job 12247- Follow Code Efficiency: Recode movement to handle follows and related code in one I/O call versus several per person.
- War Season 2013
Job 12268- Design May 2013 War Plot (Scouting Hook)
Job 12277- Design a war plot hook for Infantry
Job 12314- TP: Blood Sweat and Tears (Infantry Plot)
Job 12289- TP: Exterior Decorating (Intro Plot War Season 2013)
Job 12278- Design a war mission based on scouting
- Siege of Anarinuell
Job 12299- Old City Relocation
Job 12294- Infiltration Hook for war mission
Job 12295- Medical/Healing Hook for war mission
We always have the goal to run tinyplots but this year we are trying to concentrate on shorter one night plots.
War Season 2013
After meeting on the future of war season, the staff determined that we really liked the story and opportunity it presents but there were several issues with the mission format. We like the missions more so than NPCing 50 Shamibelian hordes. In the same respect, we acknowledge that there is something cathartic about mass battles and tense situations shared as a group.
The format of war season will be as follows:
- Staff will generate possible mission hooks. Each hook will be tied to an individual supply board.
- Completion of supply boards will unlock possible missions. Supply boards will be a city wide effort. We may offer one or multiple choices to fulfill.
- Missions will be run approximately once a month during the year. Participants will be selected by interest, whether they had previous participation, and on occasion by fit. Missions will be one evening approximately 3 hours.
- War season will be a mix of:
- approximately two missions a week.
- a mechanic built on Bjoern's land mechanic that allows the taking and losing of territory.
- Scenarios where we GM goals for large groups of players to bring back the feeling of cohesiveness (an example would be - laying siege to an area to bring down a wall)
- Up to 15 person horde battles as time allows - the participation limit being brought on by server limits.
Everything Else We Finished
- TP: Mangy Hound (Spontaneous TP of a dog trying to save a trapped child)
- Iron Thief Tinyplot
- Job 12246 - Update the files in locs.txt
- Job 12245 - TP: The Walls Came Tumbling Down (Chimera Clan Problem)
- Job 11241 - Combined Roster Character Keys
- TP: Model in a Bottle (Zin's God Challenge)
- TP: Jumper (Spontaneous TP of child on a roof needing saved)
- Job 12281 - Sheep-a-gadon (Spontaneous TP about stampeding sheep)
- Job 12287 - TP: It's Never Lupus (Girl who caught T'Rages)
- Job 12288 - Updated office hours post to remind how to contact staff for emergency/immediate issues
- Job 12080 - FiranCon Program Cover Art
- Job 12315 - Update market.txt
- Job 12198 - May 2013 Newsletter
- Job 12306 - Wrote up Staff GM Guidelines
- Job 12327 - Fixed the spoiling cron which was not reaping food outside of storage containers after 5 days old
- Job 12330 - Update marriage.txt
- Job 11947 - Added shelp @helpreq that explains how to read a helpreq
- Job 12336 - Update math.txt
- Job 12338 - Tag Spiced Pears so they can't be bought and sold by the market
- Job 12195 - May 2013 Help Question Contest
- Job 12196 - June 2013 Help Question Contest
- Job 12343 - Update medals.txt
- Job 12348 - Update meerak.txt
- Job 12349 - TP: I Never Allowed You a Rose Garden (Hydra Clan Problem)
- TP: Lilah's Kidnapping
- Job 11790 - CG: Basina N'Gato
- Job 12087 - @sheet/info like @roster/info for wizard use
- Job 12356 - Update hep files in messages.txt
- Job 12354 - Move help @message command to wizhelp
- Job 12355 - Move help @message/toggle to wizhelp
- Job 12199 - June 2013 Newsletter
- Job 12358 - Update files in milinv.txt
- Job 12311 - Code container storage code that allows searching of storage containers
- Job 12101 - Tweak the haircut command so it doesn't wipe base-hairstyle
- Job 12352 - Bug fix to Renting by Group payments
- Job 12371 - Update the files in military.txt
- Job 12375 - Update the files in miltrain.txt
- Job 11798 - Chargen Zeythri Istaneysani
- Job 12385 - Finally found error in hubs code and fixed
- Job 12388 - Update files in misc.txt
- Job 12015 - Fixed midwife pledges not clearing
- Job 12391 - Updated @request/soul to specify these are OOC choices for a soul
- Job 12394 - Update files in mobs.txt
- Job 12392 - Build Auto-thug rooms for new OC
- Job 12396 - Update files in moving.txt
- Job 12408 - Update files in mudlist.txt
- Job 10815 - CG: Cireda (to be released with the generational CGs)
- Job 12409 - Do OCers Make Good Kindling (GD Clan Problem)
- Job 12305 - Consider infant mortality/propose change to birth rolls
- Job 12419 - Update music.txt
- Job 12189 - Add a wiki page about the Mad Griffons plot
- Job 12188 - Add a wiki page about the pirates
- Job 12370 - Move help @guardon and help @guardoff to wizhelp
- Job 12424 - Build the new Parnassis Insula
- GM - White Dove Statue Stealing
- Job 12200 - July 2013 Newsletter
- Job 12412 - TP: Flu You (Chimera Clan Problem)
- Job 12432 - Fix animal movement so horses/cows stop following properly if they are out of energy.
- Job 12179 - July Help Question Contest